Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What's In A Name?

Maybe I shouldn't get so frustrated over this, but it's been slowly building up the past 10 years or so. I'd just like to slap the first person that made a variation of Rachel. Oh, and I'm not talking about Rachelle or Rochelle. Those are perfectly fine. I'm merely talking about the unnecessary desire to add an 'a' where there doesn't need to be one in the first place.

I understand there are some of you out there with the names Rachael or Racheal, and you can't really do anything to help that, but why is it so God-awful hard for people to spell my name? It's just gotten considerably worse over the last few years. You would think mine would be easier. Hey, it has one less letter than its competition, and it's been around much longer. I would think those two factors alone would work in my favor, but...no.

What annoys me the most is that this happens to me all the time with people who know me and have seen my name spelled out numerous times. They still have that itch to add another letter. Don't scratch it. Even if you can't remember if it has an extra 'a' or not, just write "Rach" to be safe. I'll even accept that. Just don't mangle it up by adding that letter. Yes, I take offense to it, and yes, it annoys me a great deal.

Do any of you have this problem with your names? I'm more than willing to hear empathetic complaints.

8 comments:

Tam said...

For years, my teachers called me AMY because of my previous last name and my first name.

ron said...

people always mess up my name too. they tend to capitalize the 'r'.

Bobby Revell said...

Hi Rachel, have I ever spelled your name incorrectly? When I was in highschool I had a guy say, "Knob job, why don't you bob on my knob!"
I put him in the hospital and was suspended 18 days (almost expelled). Needless to say, he never even said hi to me again. I saw him recently and he had since had his teeth fixed from when I attacked him. Gee, I just wasn't too fun to play with back then! I do actually feel bad for what I did and am a much nicer person today:)

Ron said...

Oh hell yeah. Here's a rundown of the botching of my name.

Rod
Ron
Rob
Aaron
Roger
R.J.
Chris(??? - I think the person completely forgot my name and was guessing)
Brian
Not-tonight-honey-I'm-on-work-release -and-have-to-go-back-to-jail, Jr.

Erica said...

I'm always asked if its spelled with a c or a k....also, my last name is DeWolf, for some reason, everybody wants to put an e at the end. What's up with that? is my name pronounced "de-wolf-ee?"

MJ said...

I hate it when people refer to me as "buddy."

Hey Buddy, what are you up to?
Hey Buddy, what you got there?
Hey Buddey, what time is it?

Jenson said...

People who have known me for years and have seen my name still spell "Jen" as "Jenn." I can relate to your annoyance.

Unknown said...

my annoance comes from peoples need to shorten my name. now my name isnt long its mary short n sweet but i still have people insist on calling me mar. am i a horse?