Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year...New Blog?

It's a new year already, so with that usually comes change. People make resolutions and often-times fail because they were either too unrealistic or just didn't put forth an effort after February. I don't personally make resolutions but rather like to do things on my own time, which is partly why this blog has basically gone nowhere the past few months. I'm trying to now figure out what exactly I need to work on.

After sitting through a meeting at work today regarding the changes in our company as a whole, it dawned on me that I need to do the same. They changed our site and spent lots of time getting it to where it's at, and the work definitely shows. I've had this particular blog up for half a year [I know the math isn't going to add up to some of you, but I transfered some old archives onto this one, which will explain why it's technically a year old.], and I haven't done a thing with it in regards to appearance. I've added widgets, but that's about it. I'd like to get my own personal layout like I used to have on my old site. Some liked it; some complained, but at least it fit me.
When our company was discussing the process of changing our logo and turning it into something that represents what we do, it made me brainstorm my own ideas for this blog. If I made a banner, what would be on it? What would it look like to best represent the content I blog about? That's not an easy question to answer because I've blogged about all different subjects. My true medium was complaining about customers, but now that I'm no longer in the retail business, that doesn't apply.

This leads me to my next question: What should I blog more about? What do you guys--as readers--like the most? What kept you coming back to my site in the first place? I guess these have all been questions in the back of my mind ever since I've been in this dry spell. I noticed that as long as I wrote a complaint well enough, I got comments--and sometimes a lot of them. Writing about learning Russian or cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner produced no interest whatsoever. That would lead me to believe you have more fun reading about my crappy day than a good day, but I don't know. You tell me.

What do you guys want to see out of this blog? A new layout will definitely be in the works, but some idea-pitching would be helpful. Oh, and I think a new vlog will be out in the near future since I haven't done one of those in several months. Those seemed to draw interest (and still do a little on YouTube).

Update: I just came up with a quick header which I don't even know if I'll keep or not, but I felt inspired at the moment. I've got more changes in the horizon, but for tonight I'm closing the book since I need to go into work for a little bit tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

ron said...

you should blog about what interests you, not what you think others will comment on. blog for yourself first, then others.

i'll still read it whatever it is you blog about. i just tend not to have much time (other than when emma is asleep and it's late at night)

Anonymous said...

Agreed! I rarely comment, but I do try to read your blog.

What draws your interest? If you are reading the news or watching TV, what sorts of subjects makes you stop and pay attention? What makes you laugh?

Actually, reading about learning Russian and the Thanksgiving dinner thing were very nice. This is just my personal bias, but I like hearing people describe what brings them joy, whether it is an interest I share or not.

It was cool hearing my mom talk about her new sewing room, even though I couldn't sew a stitch if my life depended on it.

Big hugs and hope that we see you at the Erie Blogger get together on Tuesday! We could use good photos and faces for the pictures we will send to Lake Erie Lifestyle.

-Michael

Bobby Revell said...

Hi Rachel (I hope I spelled your name right...haha) I see you have a blog facelift! I don't know what you should blog about but I know what I do: I will take my blog in the direction of cardboard. All the things that can be done with cardboard, like shoe boxes, toilet paper inner tubes, poster board...it's endless...and exciting too...hahahahahahahahahaha:)