Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Getting Closer to Freedom

Last night I received a message from one of my temp agencies saying they had a full-time position in mind for me. The only problem was that it was from Thursday, and my phone just received it last night. I was afraid the job would be gone, so I made sure I called them first thing this morning. I talked to one of the girls there, and she said the opportunity was still available although they'd interviewed people for it already. Also, she told me they have two more full-time day jobs they wanted to pitch to me. Wow. I was so excited.

Two of the three are at a certain car dealership. One entails greeting people at the door and answering phones (up to eight lines). The girl at the temp agency informed me that they have eight lines at their office, and even though their receptionist loves her job, there are days she wants to "rip her hair out because it's so busy." Yes, that's a direct quote from her. That quickly made up my mind.
The other job is as a cashier, which wouldn't be hard. Both of these pay less than I get at my current job, so it doesn't give me too much reason to pursue them. Plus, I may end up working Saturdays, I'm assuming.

The third job is for a non-profit organization (much like the last job they sent me to), and I would just be doing data entry. Absolutely no phones and no customers. Heaven. It pays about a buck more an hour than I'm getting now, and it's Monday thru Friday, 8:30-5. Perfect.
Now I'm getting up at the butt-crack of dawn to do typing, data entry, and Excel 2003 tests at the agency before I go to work at 9:00 so they can send my scores to this client. I'm not really thrilled about getting up at 5:30 tomorrow morning, but if it can get me out of where I'm at, then I'm all for it.

I just hope this works out better than the last place they sent me. Please, God...

Update (8/30, 8:25am): I took my tests this morning, and I did really well. I was nervous I would do horrible on Excel since I haven't used spreadsheets since high school, but I got 28/32 right. Not too shabby, I guess.
Even better is the fact that the place they want me to interview at employs three people I know, and they're all really great (one is even a supervisor). I hope I get this!

2 comments:

Tam said...

So awesome! Good luck! Here's some Gypsy charm and magic. Word Veri: slavurw

Rachel said...

Thank you! They couldn't get me an interview tomorrow morning (boo!), but hopefully Tuesday. I had some good words put in for me, so the ball should get rollin' pretty soon.

On top of that, we have two people quitting at work. That's in addition to the two that just quit the past week to week and a half. Now we're going to be really short-handed. Even more so if I get this job...but it won't be my problem. Mwahahaha!