Monday, August 13, 2007

Wedded Bliss and Something Like It

Going to weddings didn't usually do anything for me. My family and I went to numerous, and I never felt any emotional connection. I never cried, I never showed a whole lot of excitement, and they always seemed like they dragged on and on. Maybe it was just because I was a kid, and those types of events are "inferior" to hanging out with your friends (ok, that's not like me) or staying home and listening to music (more like me).

These days it's a little different. I got married, and now most all my friends have gotten married. Going to their weddings gave me a whole different feeling because I'd already been through it. Also, they're my friends as opposed to an obligatory wedding for a family member you see once every ten years or so. It makes me want to relive mine.

I think I spent most of the weekend saying, "Oh, I wish we would have done that," or "Darn it, I was going to do that for our wedding." My husband was less than pleased because I think I made him feel horrible. As much as I wish I'd done so many things with our wedding, I'm happy it went the way it did. It was the perfect day, and in all honesty, I really wouldn't have changed a thing about it. It was a small wedding with our closest friends and family members there. Most of our friends were in the wedding party (five bridesmaids, five groomsmen), which doesn't always get to happen with people.
A lot of funny things happened that we'll remember for years, such as when I went in to kiss Jon at the altar when we were pronounced husband and wife, and our pastor had a few more things to say before that. Everyone watched as I leaned in only to be denied courtesy of his verboseness.
Also, we had a celebrity sighting at our reception, which was very cool. How many people have those? Colin Mochrie happened to be in town that day doing a show at the Warner Theatre (I believe), and he was staying at the Marriott. One of our guests spotted him out in lobby, and word got around fast. I started wondering why all our guests were leaving in a hurry. My sister came over to our table and told us Colin Mochrie was out in the lobby, so Jon and I jumped up to go meet him. We got to shake hands with him, and he congratulated us. We also got a few snapshots with him.

My husband and I have now been married nearly a year and a half, and we feel like veterans for some reason. A year and a half isn't really all that long, but we feel like we set the path for our friends as we were the first in our "group" to get married. Now we've got our own little Ball and Chain Club, and it feels good to have initiated it. Welcome to the club, Tam and Matt. Pull up a chair and get comfortable 'cause you're gonna be here for a while.

No comments: