Friday, June 8, 2007

Gas Company Guys Are Creepy

Tuesday evening I was lying on the living room floor playing Kingdom Hearts II because I wasn't feeling too well. I don't know if I was about to come down with a fever, but I decided to take some precautions a little earlier by taking a couple tablets of Extra Strength Tylenol. Jon had gone to the Y, while I stayed behind to remedy this fever (or faux fever; whatever it happened to be).
It was around 8:00 PM when I heard the doorbell ring, and within about a second of that, I hear the person open the screen door and attempt to open our main door. Thankfully, I had it locked, but they jiggled it as if they were trying to get inside. I was a little nervous to answer the door after that, but I did anyway.
A young guy--about my age--stood at the door with a company gun (not a firearm, folks, but in the device sense), and he asked to check the gas meter. If it weren't for the gas truck sitting outside, I'd be even more cautious about letting him inside.

Even still, I wondered why he would have tried to open the door. When you come to my front door, you can tell there's no foyer after that main door. It just goes directly to the living room, so what would possess someone to attempt to open it in the first place?

It scares me to think what could have happened if I weren't in the habit of keeping my doors locked. Would he have just walked in? Jon was thinking about calling the gas company to complain about it. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be a good idea. Also, do they really check meters at 8:00 at night? That seems a little late for house calls.
I can't say this experience helped my fear of strange men coming to my door when I'm home alone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should call the gas company immediately. You should always trust your instincts. I hope you didn't let him in. He should also be wearing a visible ID badge.

Unknown said...

id definitely call the gas co n complain about him. did u happen to remember his name? and 8 pm isnt too outside the norm for the gas company but youcould always complain about the time of night too. maybe tell them to mark your account that they can only come before a certain time since the meter is in ur house.

Anonymous said...

He should have at least knocked on the door or rung the door bell. Bit weird all up. I'd complain!

Bobby Revell said...

Good decision making. Those guys have a list that has names, addresses, and phone numbers. They should be required to call first by law.

ron said...

always ask to see their company id before you let them in. they are required to do so if you ask. you could even go so far as to call the gas company right then and there while he's waiting before you let him in. if it doesn't seem right, don't risk it.