Saturday, June 2, 2007

Reminiscent

I'm looking forward to the hours ahead of me tonight since I get to spend them going out with my husband. We rarely end up going out and doing things together anymore. We're either preoccupied with whatever is going on in our lives (work, friends, etc.) or we just don't have the money to go out. Last night we decided it was time to spend some quality time with eachother. He asked if I wanted to go to dinner and see the new Pirates of the Carribean movie. I wasn't feeling up to it last night, so I asked if we could take a rain check for tonight, so that's what we're planning to do (minus the dinner since we got some last night).

What did we do last night instead? Well, I subjected him and his parents to a family video from 1989 that included--but was not limited to--my and my sister's 5th birthday party, a trip to Sea World, and a day at the Erie Zoo. They got to marvel over the fact that my looks haven't changed at all over the past eighteen years other than maturing from a 5 year-old to a 23 year-old and how my sister "wore the pants" in our relationship.
Most people don't enjoy showing people pictures or videos from when they were kids, but I actually don't mind it. Please don't think I'm trying to show myself off as if I were some cute child, but I just figure, why fight it? It's inevitable that someone (especially a boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife) is going to see pictures of you from when you were a kid, whether your parents show them or another outside party does. May as well go with the flow.

Besides, I enjoy making fun of different things that happen in the video that really epitomize the relationship I had with my sister. They're just cute, hilarious happenings that you wish you could relive for the sheer joy and nostalgia they bring. I went over some of them in the vlog I made a couple months ago.
One instance had me playing Miss Submissive. Who am I kidding? I played that role everyday with my sister. When we first got real bikes for our birthday, they had training wheels on them, of course. While we were out riding them one morning, she was coming one direction on the sidewalk, and I was going the other. As soon as I got close to her, I automatically rode my bike right into the grass (and was stuck, of course), as she rode happily past me. Be sure to note the obligatory scowl on my face after this happens, if you ever see that video.

As we were watching the video, and I happened to say something really stupid on there, I turned to my husband and reminded him, "This is what you married, hun." I can't say I was the brightest kid in the world, but I think we've all had our moments at some point. I just enjoy sharing the childhood stupidity I had with other people and just laugh at myself with them. Anyone else do the same?

3 comments:

Tam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tam said...

Jr was the accident prone one. I was perfect.

Rachel said...

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that... ;)