Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Yet Another Reason I Can't Stand Drunks

Sometimes I just really loathe my job. It's mostly when I get ignorant, drunk people harassing me. This is the clientele that my place of work attracts, unfortunately, and I have to put up with it on occasion. I'm just lucky I'm not drop-dead gorgeous or I'd have some real problems on my hands.

Last week, I decided to go outside for my lunch as I tend to do when it's nice out. I sat in my car eating and basking in the sunlight shining through my open sunroof in hopes of getting a tan by the end of August. About five minutes into my lunch, a white car pulls in diagonal to mine in the parking lot. Not that race really matters, but for the sake of being descriptive, I'll mention it. They were either Hispanic or Indian (couldn't really tell) men in their 50s or 60s, and they were being extremely obnoxious. They let one of their passengers out of the car to go inside the store while the rest waited behind.

I heard them saying things fairly loudly in their car, but I couldn't understand what they were saying because I had my music on. I was trying to focus on the peacefulness of that and ignore the background noise. I didn't fare too well on that one, but it was worth the effort.

A couple minutes before my lunch was ending, the guy who had gone into the store stumbled back into the car, and they just sat there. I was wishing they would just drive off and go away, so I could at least enjoy the last 30 seconds of my lunch. That didn't happen. My time was up, so I needed to head back to clock in.
I got out of my car, and as I started heading towards the store, one of the guys stuck his head out the window and yelled, "Hey, honey!! Hey, honey!!" I just ignored him. I fought off the urge to flip him off for fear I'd get the crap beaten out of me right in the parking lot. There's no telling what they'd do.

Since I didn't respond, I elicited a strange noise in return. It reminded me of those who are mentally disabled who have trouble speaking and can only make various grunts and groans as their mouths try to make out words. I continued onward anyway.

I clocked back in, and I began thinking, What if they do something to my car since I didn't acknowledge them? I went to our LP right away to tell him what had happened, and he started telling me how they were watching a guy for a while in there because he was so drunk he was falling over. He even got a box of shoes, and he could barely carry it to the registers without dropping it about 5 times. He even asked our LP if he could help him carry it to the registers since it was "so heavy."

After talking to him for a while, we both figured out that this guy was part of the group that was harassing me outside. By this time, the men had driven away. They were going to call the police if the guy that was stumbling all over the store had been the driver. I still think the actual driver was drunk, as well. They were all acting like it.

I can't wait to get away from this for a while. Two more days...

2 comments:

Randy Maness said...

Thats horrible to have happened. I can't stand drunks either. The ones I hate the most are the ones that call me in the middle of the night. Its probably the reason i change my number so often. I'm glad nothing happened to you or your car as well.

Bobby Revell said...

I don't like what happened but I do love the story, or rather the story-like way you described it. I felt like I was there watching it happen like I was sitting in the car with you.