Monday, July 16, 2007

A Little Contemplation

I have to say it's been a little rough the past week with all the job hunting I've been doing. I just called both temp agencies this morning for an update, and it seems I've possibly striked out on both deals.

As I'd said, the temp I'd gone to on Friday had offered me a job possibility in McKean. She was going to call me to let me know if I was able to go in for an interview, which was contingent on the employer letting me put at least a week's notice into Burlington. When I called this morning, she told me that this company was a new client, and they were unable to provide the necessary paperwork to the temp. In other words, they dropped the client, so this job is no longer a possibility for me. Unfortunately, this was the only job this temp agency had in mind for me at the moment.

I called the other temp to see if there was any update on the other job, which I had interviewed for last Wednesday. She said they were still interviewing a few more candidates, so they hadn't come to a decision yet. I suppose I'll have to wait this one out a little longer, but I'm trying to hold back the doubt flying around in my head.

I know I've just started out with these temp agencies, but I already feel like I'm going to be one of those applicants that never gets anywhere. I have doubts in my skills and abilities where I should have confidence. I just can't push myself enough into the positive realm to assure myself that I'll get a new job...eventually. Waiting is the hardest thing for me to do; especially when I want out right away.

At the same time--and I've expressed this before--I'll miss some of the people I've worked with at Burlington. We had a little picnic at Presque Isle last night with people from our department and the youth department. I invited ron and Tam, but only ron was able to make it. [Sorry for making you the oddball out.] It really made me realize that I work with such wonderful people. As much as we may complain about each other doing stupid or idiotic things that annoy us on occasion [I'm sure I get my fair share of complaints.], when it comes down to it, we all really care about each other a great deal and would be there at the drop of a hat to help one another out.

I'm probably closer to one person in particular more than anyone else there because she's really done a lot for me: Olga has pulled me out of scheduling crises when something unexpected comes up by switching schedules with me; she's been someone to confide in when I'm really down or something has been bothering me; I could trust her with everything--including my life (and vice versa); and she's taken me under her wing--despite a sometimes busy schedule--to help me learn Russian, which has gone by the wayside every so often just from being busy with other things in my life (no fault of her own; she still keeps me on my toes). I've worked with a few different people in my short career that have helped me to get where I'm at today, but I've unfortunately lost touch with most all of them. I'm hoping that will stop here, and Olga is someone I don't want to lose that connection with. I don't want to lose anymore good friends. They're few and far between for me these days anyway.

As much as I want to leave retail and Burlington altogether in the dust, I wish I could take some of the people with me. Since I may be leaving soon, I felt like I should write some sort of tribute to the people who have made everyday more bearable. I don't know what I'd do without them. I may have started off on the wrong foot with one or two, but they're what keep me from pulling every strand of hair out of my head, and I wouldn't trade that crew for any other.

2 comments:

ron said...

no worries. i'm used to being an oddball.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

The "people" you work closely with make or break how happy you are driving home for dinner. :-)

Speedcat H. -and thanks!!!!!