Saturday, July 28, 2007

MST3K'rs Rejoice...Well, Kind Of

It's been long-awaited, and it hasn't come without several petitions being sent from all over the world, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 is back...in a way. It's essentially the same people behind the show (minus the brainchild, Joel Hodgson), and it's pretty much the same idea as MST3K: They make fun of horrible movies by providing humorous commentary over-top of them. There's a little difference in name though. Now they're under the name, The Film Crew, and they've made a whole other set of movies that have just been released this month.

I was excited when my husband told me they had an article on Slashdot about the return of MST3K. After having their DVDs dwindled down to nothing and having the hardest time getting a hold of any episodes I wanted (being forced to download since they weren't available any other way), they're finally making a return. I mean, geez, there was enough of an uproar when they switched it from Comedy Central to the Sci-Fi Channel, and then Sci-Fi gave them the axe soon after.

What's somewhat disappointing is the MIA factor for many MST3K obligatory things. The robots are no longer present, which I thoroughly enjoyed them; and along with that is the disappearance of the silhouettes in the theater that was trademark of MST3K. Yes, I know, The Film Crew is not MST3K, but that doesn't mean I can't miss the little things that made the show great.

I'm particularly looking forward to buying the movies they've released thus far. I see Amazon has them for about $15. Sounds good to me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's friggin awesome, and yet terribly heartbreaking at the same time. No robots? wtf? Someone needs to petition a little more!

Stephanie said...

No Crow? Say it ain't so! My nipples weep for you

(hope you know that one; Roger Corman movie about underground dwelling people & Alfred the Butler from the Batman TV show is one of them and he does this thing where he bows & they say that).