Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ya Govaryu Pa-Russki

As most of you know, I've been studying the Russian language for nearly a year now. I've been trying to discipline myself to learn it on my own when Olga can't help me. Lately, the two of us have been busy and haven't gotten together to go over it. She does occasionally say something to me in Russian while we're working together, but it's not enough for me to learn. Since I know her priorities don't lie solely in teaching me Russian 24/7 (why should they?), I think I need to enlist some other form of help that's a little more regular and pushes me right into the deep end. I need something to force me to spend a lot of my time and energy on learning it.

I'm at a point in my Russian where it's very hard to learn it on my own. I have times where I'm sitting there staring at my book, and nothing is sinking in. Other times, things come so clearly to me. Regardless of whether I'm able to learn anything at the time or not, I need someone to help me out. Rather than getting a Russian tutor [I can say I already have one of those...for free.], I'd like to take some Russian courses at a local college. However, I don't need credits, so it should be a lot cheaper.

I did some searching on the 'net, and the only college in Erie that I could find with any Russian classes was at Mercyhurst, which tends to be on the pricey side. However, my sister-in-law's husband is a math professor there, so I was going to see if he could look into the cost of that. I don't know if any other colleges around here have Russian classes, but I'd be interested in knowing if there were (having more than one option would be preferable). Anyone know of any?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Edinboro, and took Russian there. You can always look into that.

Anonymous said...

You need an Erie County library card for this but it's worth it. With said card in hand, go to the Erie County Library web site. From the list on the left side of the page, click "electronic resources". On the new page look at the list in the center. Click on "Rosetta Stone". At the Rosetta Stone site enter your library card info and your in!

Apparently, Erie County library has a licensing agreement with Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone is a top notch language program. They claim it is the prefered software of the State Department. I do know if one were to purchase it, it would cost in the neighborhood of $300. I've been suing it and it seems pretty good.

Rachel said...

I'm gonna check out Edinboro, Katie. I forgot you had gone there and took Russian.

I've heard about the Rosetta Stone programs. My only gripe would be trying to use that in a library as it requires you to do speaking exercises. It'd probably be easier to do in an environment where I don't need to be super quiet. I just wish they were cheaper. I know each lesson is around $200 off their site (around $150 if you buy from someone off E-Bay). I guess if you buy both together it's only about $340, which is cheaper than buying separately.

Hey, it could be a good group Christmas present for me (from friends and family). LoL. I can wait, and I'd appreciate it. Ha.

Anonymous said...

You can use the Rosetta Stone program from home, or anywhere you have internet access. No need to go to the library. And it's FREE through the Erie County library portal!

Rachel said...

Ahhh. Ok, stupid me assumed I had to use it there. Thanks!