Friday, March 23, 2007

Common Sense Beckons. Will You Answer the Call?

Recently, I watched a video of a woman in Madrid who took her shopping cart down an escalator, lost control of it, and went tumbling down after the cart.  It was coincidental because last night I almost witnessed something similar.

A group of girls were taking their strollers (with infant car carriers inside, mind you) up the escalator.  I didn't see them until they were at the top as one girl yelled to the other, "Hurry, hurry!  Catch it!"  She lost control of the stroller and almost dropped it down the escalator with her baby inside.  Idiots...

About an hour later, the girls approach me as I'm putting stock out.
"I'm gone press charges on y'all," one said.
Excuse me?  "Why," I asked.
"Because y'all's elevator is down and I had to take ma baby up da escalator.  If sometin happen to ma baby, I'm-a press charges on Burlin'ton."
I decided to play the dick.  "Yeah, you're not allowed to take strollers or carts up the escalator for safety purposes.  Just ask an associate and they can take you up our freight elevator." 

I hate repeating myself on this issue to people over and over again.  Our man elevator is not operating at the moment.  It got fixed, but we're waiting for it to be inspected before anyone can use it.  We have a sign posted up on each elevator door (one downstairs; one upstairs) that does say to use the escalator; however, it states that if you have a stroller or cart, "ask an associate for assistance.  Do not take them up the escalator."  I think that's very clear; don't you?

She continued.  "No, y'all, I'm-a press charges.  I ain't takin' ma baby down der."
Apparently, she has no clue what the difference between an elevator and an escalator is.

After spending a minute trying to get her to understand the difference, one of her friends chimes in to my rescue (finally!).  "No, girl, she talkin' 'bout the elevator.  Not da escalator.  You's trippin'."
"Oh, oh.  Sorry 'bout dat," she replied.
And what the hell have I been saying this whole time?
"Are you guys ready to go down now," I asked.
"Yeah."
"Ok, just follow me this way."

I begin to lead them towards the backroom, and one girl strays to the escalator with her stroller.  *sigh*
"I'm gonna take you down our freight elevator," I yelled to her. Did you forget already?
"Can't y'all stop the escalator, so I can take ma stroller down?"
What?  You can't be serious.
Now, to me, I would think it would be harder--not easier--to take a stroller down with the escalator turned off than if it's turned on.  As you know, an escalator turns into stairs when it's turned off (How about that, eh?).  Do you think it turns into a long, declining ramp or something?

I internally shake my head in disbelief as I reply, "No, I can't."
I finally lead them to our freight elevator in the backroom.  I open the doors and the same girl who wouldn't keep her mouth shut the entire time, opened it once again.
"No, y'all, dis looks mo' dangerous dan da escalator.  I'm-a press charges if this thing break when I be on it.  I'm-a get so much money for dat."
Geez, would you lay off the pressing charges thing?  Is that all you think about?  I'll be on the elevator with you anyway.  So if on the super rare chance something happens, I'm screwed too.  So chill out.

I finally got them downstairs and out of my hair.
Lesson to all:  Use your head for more than a hat rack, please.

No comments: