Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sign of the Times

Last night, Ron and Monica had us over for dinner, and we finally got to see their new daughter, Aubri.  What a beautiful baby, by the way.
Anyway, while we were eating dinner, their other daughter, Kaitlyn, brought over two of her Ken dolls.  Let the ridicule ensue.

I remember when Ken was a wholesome-looking doll that represented the kind of man you'd want to bring home to mom and dad.  That was the Ken I grew up with and the couple generations before me did.  Today, he's turned into a midlife crisis.  I don't think he knows who he is.  One day, he dresses to be bending over for some lispy, burly beach dude; the next day, he looks like he's ready to beat the living crap out of that lispy, burly beach dude despite the fact that the restraining order says he's not allowed within 500 yards of him.

I know he and Barbie had some issues, and they eventually broke up, but what was the reason?  I'm thinking Ken is sexually confused...or the president of Mattel is.

It's not just Ken and Barbie that have changed with the times, but they came out with these Bratz dolls a few years ago, which are just another name for "Hussies," in my book.  They dress like whores off the street, and girls love them.  Yet we wonder why we find 11-year-old girls with MySpaces that have pictures of themselves half-naked.  On top of that, they're having sex...with older men.  Honestly, I never even really knew what sex was until I was around that age.  I think I had the advantage of having a rather wholesome childhood, and it seems like kids today don't even have a chance.

For example, a few years back, I was walking by Wesleyville Elementary School, and I saw kindergarteners coming out of class for the afternoon.  I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of their mouths:  'F' this, 'f' that, motherf'er, b***h.  I thought my ears were going to bleed.  But I digress...

Anyone else thinking we're going to have a major problem on our hands once these kids grow up to be adults?  I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little terrified to grow old and rely on them to take care of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bratz Fit Many Young Girls
--------------------------
I had the same opinion of Bratz dolls until I found out more about the story behind the dolls. I am married to an Egyptian and I picked three Bratz dolls as gifts for my neices when we went to visit his family last year. Yes, some of them do have very shiny, skimpy, tarty clothes, but they look a lot more like my neices who are black on my side and Egyptian on my husband's than Barbie dolls.

I was actually really glad to have a choice! I personally don't like Barbie dolls. The body types, face etc don't look anything like me and I think my parents bought them when I was small because of a lack of alternatives. I really enjoyed the story of the MGA(?) president's rise to success and I like the fact that the dolls have big lips, a "multi-ethnic" look and can stand on their own. I'm 33 and I kept one for myself. It's a pre-teen Sasha Bratz and she's so cute!

I must say that the Barbie doll looks more like a typical p*rn star than any of the Bratz dolls. There are so many black, Asian, Middle-eastern, American Indian, Saudi, Indian, Hispanic etc. girls in the world whose parent's have money to spend on toys and I think it's nice to have a doll that appeals to these girls. If I remember from my childhood, I loved to dress up my dolls and I think Bratz fill that need nicely.

Also, do some research into other cultures. Women in many countries may behave more modestly than American or European women, but they LOOVE makeup. I think young girls in Arabia, Latin America and elsewhere now have more money to spend and want to play pretend with bright colors and dramatic looks that they fantasize about wearing when they grow up.

Caring for Parents
-------------------
Also, I work at a company with an age-ing workforce now. I guess most of them grew up in the 50's, but most of them do not live with their parents and have sent their parents to senior living homes. That's something neither my husband nor I can imagine doing to our parents even though we're not particularly rich. I'm not sure that any "American" people take care of their parents nowadays. That may not have much to do with dolls.

Crime and Profanity
-------------------
Also, are you aware of what went on in this country in the past several decades? Teenage sex, profanity and violence are nothing new. I think that the overall violent crime rate in the country is even lower than in those days! What I have noticed today is that some parents think that a big house, nice car and nice clothing is more important than spending time taking care of their children. I am guilty of that, too. I would have a hard time living a more humble lifestyle in order to stay home and be a full-time mother. But really, children have been neglected before Bratz. I used to be a camp counselor and the more-affluent kids had potty mouths and knew more about sex any child should. I chalked this up to their parent's both working (albeit at high-paying jobs) and their having access to adult programs on cable TV. Parent's should drastically reduce their children's access to cable and network TV and the internet. If you are a parent and you're not computer savvy and don't know how to protect your kids, then be afraid. I would think twice about giving little Timmy access to the adult content on the airwaves and the "information super highway"

Just my 2 cents! Good luck to the Bratz crew. I think Mattel is despicable. First they tried to make Bratz copycat dolls such as "my scene Barbie" and then they sue Bratz because that can't compete(?).