Monday, April 2, 2007

I Like Yu-Gi-Oh

God bless foreign people.  Really.  I love them.  They could keep me entertained for hours.  I especially love my foreign customers.  They're the greatest.

It was around 5:20 this evening when I walked to our desk to find three different people standing around it:  a woman looking at a magazine and an Asian couple.  I asked if anyone needed help.  The woman looked up and said, "No, thank you."  The Asian couple looked at eachother first before shaking their heads simultaneously.  Ok, fair enough.  I'll just continue on with what I'm doing.

I wrote down my work schedule, and I started to walk away from the desk when the Asian guy started following me.  Feeling him behind me, I turned and asked if he needed help.  He gave a faint, "yes" answer.
"What can I help you with today?"
"We need registry," he replied.
Unsure of whether he wanted a list printed out or if he wanted his wife to register, I asked, "You want a print-out of a registry?"
He uneasily answered, "Uh, no.  Uh, she need to do registry."
To affirm I understood correctly, I asked, "She wants to start a registry?"
"Uh...yeah."
"Ok, just have a seat and fill this out," I answered as I handed her the registry form to fill out.

She filled the entire thing out, I typed her information into the computer, and I handed her a gun.  I explained to her how to use the gun and the entire scanning process.  She interupted me mid-explanation.
"When I scan item, do I carry with me?"
Um...why are you asking that?  Why would you need to carry it with you?
She's foreign, Rachel.  Bear with her.

"Nope.  Just scan it, punch in the number of what you want, and hit enter.  Then you can go onto the next item."
She seemed unsure of what I meant, but she went along with it anyway.

About two minutes later, she came back with the gun...
Phew, that was quick.
...and she had two items with her.
What is she doing?
"All finished?"
"Yeah."

I brought her registry list up on the computer to find two items on it.  Guess she didn't put much effort into this.  I printed out a copy for her, and I handed it to her.  She was utterly confused.  She looked at one item on the list that was priced as $34.90, but the item itself was tagged $15.00.
"Is this original price?"
"Yes, but if someone were to buy it, they would pay $15.00."
"So this price I pay?"
Wait, something's wrong here...
My mind started putting things together, so I asked, "Did you want to register for a baby shower?  You know, for people to buy gifts off your list or are you buying those items?"
"I buy," was her reply.
"Ohhh.  I'm sorry.  I thought you wanted to register for a baby shower.  You just wanted to pay for these items?"
"Yeah.  I not understand.  We have different culture."

It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.  All this time she spent filling out that form and scanning items was for nothing.  All she wanted was a frickin' cash register.  Ah, the joys of misunderstanding people.  See what it produces?

No comments: