Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Urban Day At Burlington

Ok, if you've ever shopped in there, you're probably thinking, "Everyday is urban day in Burlington."  Yes, I know.  It's the clientele that we attract.  I understand that, but yesterday was like a circus at points.  I was sure the halfway house let out for recess last night.

It was fairly quiet except for little spurts here and there (spurts of urban folks, yes).  I had just put out a few girls' Baby Phat shirts in the 12-24 month aisle that evening.  I sensored the logo like we're supposed to (that way they're less likely to take it if they rip it).  By the end of the night, they'd stolen a few and left one lying there because they'd ripped the logo trying to get the sensor off.  How do I know they were stolen and not purchased?  Well, the handful of sensors lying on the floor with gold threads hanging around them was a dead giveaway.

Usually Monday nights are fairly quiet, and it was until about 8:30 when the ghetto bus must have made a drop-off.  I couldn't believe how many loud-mouthed people came up to our department (black and white).  There were kids from about 8 years old up to adults, and they were all extremely obnoxious.  The kids were running around like crazy, and the adults were speaking in their annoying "outdoor voices" (which really couple as indoor for them because they can't separate the two).  By the time they left, the upstairs looked like a hurricane had run through it, and I didn't have time to clean up the mess. 

Good luck trying to convince your department manager that a torrent of insanely messy people came through on a Monday night.  I hope she bought the story.

No comments: