Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Journey Has Ended

If you can believe it, today is the last day of my thirty-day journey.  It seemed to go by pretty fast.  I'm happy to see it end but not at the same time.  I was trying to take on too many commitments at one time between Russian, making vlogs, and writing blogs. 

It's especially bad that my Russian has gone to the back burner to do all this.  It makes me sad everytime I hear Olga speaking to someone in Russian.  It makes me want to go back to spending more time with that.  I did, however, feel good on Sunday when she "slipped-up" and started speaking Russian to me mid-conversation.

She wanted to put a crib pad on her friend's registry, but she didn't know if it was waterproof, so she had me look over the package.
"Well, it's not waterproof.  It just says absorbent," I said.
"What does that mean?"
As I was about to answer, she said, "Harosho s--"  She began laughing, and I did a little too.
She said, "I just speak Russian to you.  You know what is 'harosho'?"
That's an easy, easy word¹, so I said with a smile, "Yeah, I do."
So she began again.  "Harosho suck up?"
"Da," I replied.  I was a happy camper.  It wasn't a lofty, Russian vocabulary moment, but it was nice because that was the first time we ever spoke it to eachother within normal conversation.
Later on, I pulled her aside and told her she should do that more often, so I can get comfortable with speaking it.  My husband still thinks I should do more initiation, but I'm far too shy to do that.

It's moments like these that make me want to stick to the Russian for a while.  I'll still blog, and I think I'd still like to make videos, as well, but now it's their turn to take the back burner for a little bit. 

Thanks to everyone who reads these.  I appreciate the support.  Maybe I'll do this again sometime when I'm not so busy with life.

¹"Harosho" means "good," basically.

No comments: