Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Just Call Me Gimpy or Pokey

I did something incredibly stupid at work yesterday.  It was far worse than the usual because I'm quite the idiot around there.  I always seem to find ways of injuring myself on a daily basis.  Yesterday was no exception.  It's a wonder I'm still alive.

I needed someone to carry out a crib and combo that I sold last night, so I was trying to figure out what guys we had.  I was told Shane was working, so I paged him.  I didn't realize he was on lunch until I saw him walk by a few minutes later, so I asked if he could do a carryout when he came back from clocking in.

In the meantime, I decided to put some things away, which ended up being bad because I got stopped by someone who needed help.  Luckily, it wasn't anything major, so I was able to walk away pretty quickly.
I started walking towards the desk, and my department manager told me that Shane was looking for me in the backroom.  Worrying that I might lose him, I started to run towards the back.  That was a huge mistake.

My first step into my run had all my weight thrown into it, and my foot didn't support it, so it buckled underneath me, and my foot went sideways and inward.  Not wanting to look like a complete idiot, I continued to run anyway; even though I was in excruciating pain at that point.  I even walked it off when I found him in the backroom and directed him to the furniture, but as soon as I walked out to the floor, I was tearing up over the pain.

For the rest of the night, I continued to walk on it, and the pain subsided a little bit, but as soon as I got home and took my shoes off, it was over with.  I couldn't walk.  My poor husband had to carry me around the house like Pollyanna for the remainder of the evening.

Today I was walking with a limp, and I felt like an idiot.  I got so many stares.  Olga tried picking up some sort of a brace at the dollar store, but they didn't have one for ankles, so I had to tough it out.  However, she said she had one at home in her basement that I could use, so I went over to her house and picked that up, and it seems to be helping a little bit.  It still hurts to walk, but at least I have a couple days off to heal.

I'm not sure if I just twisted it or if it's a sprain, but whatever it is, it hurts like a beeotch.

No comments: