Sunday, May 13, 2007

And the Worst Daughter Award Goes To...

It's now Mother's Day, and I've got to be the worst daughter in the world (or darn near close to it). Not only do I have to work today, I didn't get her a card or anything. I am planning on taking her out to dinner Friday night, as that's the next night I'll be free. For today, however, the most I can do for her is a phone call to say, "Happy Mother's Day," and "I love you."

I don't think I give her enough credit. I used to go on and on and complain about her for the duration of my engagement to Jon. I think I've matured out of that stage, and the verbal bashing was just a part of that adolescence. Now I'm thinking of all the things she has done for me and everything she's put up with. I can understand now, in retrospect, why she got so furious when Jon and I got engaged. She didn't know him at all. I hardly ever brought him around the house. If I were in that situation, I'd probably be freaking out too. So thank you for holding it together that much. Sometimes kids (that's what I refer to myself in that time period as) don't look at it from another perspective, and that's what happened with me.

One day I'll be a mother too, and whether it be to a daughter or a son, I'm sure I'm going to have a heck of a time. I envy the mothers out there that have it together and are raising their kids to be responsible, patient, loving adults. I couldn't imagine being able to pull that off. It makes me smile to sit back and watch some of my friends having kids and watching their kids grow up. It doesn't seem too long ago where I was the kid, and my parents had friends with kids whom I grew up with. Ever since I've been married and as the years pass, it's like a quick switch to being the friend of the parents rather than the friend of the kids.

So for all the responsible, loving, caring, patient mothers out there (including my mother), Happy Mother's Day! You deserve it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im sure ur mother doesnt think your the worst daughter in the world because all you were able to do today was call and tell her happy mothers day and that you love her. it showed that on her special day her daughter was thinking about HER. my mom always tells me that even if thats all i do its just right :) i hope her day was as great as mine :) and have fun on friday im sure she'll have a blast

Ron said...

You haven't lived until you've hosed off your kid in the bathtub at 7am due to a soggy poop, while at the same time mentally praising Pampers for making good enough diapers to hold it all in without a mess on the floor.

Tam said...

I think you should come out with us to New Wave Friday after you take your mom out. "Uh, mom, finish that Arby's sandwich, please. I have plans."

Randy Maness said...

At least you called. :) I can't make plans with mine for another week unfortunately. I'm sure one day you will make a fine mother