Friday, May 11, 2007

I Loathe Retail

That's not the first time I've said that, and it certainly won't be the last. However, as I've said a million times before, it's a job, and you've just got to stick with it until you find something new. I'm just not so sure I'm in agreement with the new policy that corporate Burlington Coat Factory is setting into place, effective immediately: All employees are to be trained and run the registers for four hours a month. We have to be 90% compliant on this.

Now, four hours a month isn't a lot of time. You could say it's not worth whining over, but for someone who had to be on the registers on a daily basis at her last job (and hated every second of it), it's grounds for complaining. BCF is 1000% worse than Dollar General could ever aspire to be as far as amounts of difficult customers.
When I put in my application, I was going to be hired in receiving, but they found they had a greater need in the baby department. They asked if that was alright with me. I didn't care. So that's where I've remained for the past year (and then some), and I'm content with just staying that way.

Remember how I mentioned that we're to be 90% compliant on this? Yeah, about that...we're not. It's more like 75%. So if 25% of our associates are excluded from running registers instead of the 10% it's supposed to be, then I feel they need to rethink this whole policy. It's not like a difference of 2-5%. That's 15%. To tell you the truth, a lot of them have no reason to be excluded. They have no mental or physical handicaps. I have no problem with people being exempt from doing this, but let it be for valid reasons; otherwise, there's going to be a revolt. I know of a lot of associates who just won't put up with that. Is it so much to ask to be treated fairly?

If you feel the stores need more cashiers, then have them hire more. It's simply put: Corporate America. How much work can we get out of our people without dishing out extra money to hire more help? You see it everywhere; not just in retail. I certainly had my share of this at Dollar General. I was acting as a store manager at points for the wages of an assistant manager. If you're not aware, that's a huge difference. In fact, before I was assistant manager, our AM was doing this for a long time, and as soon as she left, our DM cut her up as if she were no good. To this day, I feel she's one of the hardest workers I've ever met in my life.

I just don't see the need to burn people out. Each deparment has people who were hired to do a specific job. We have our backup cashiers, so I don't feel we need to make every one of us a cashier. I think it's a valid argument; don't you think?

No comments: