Monday, May 21, 2007

Happyness?

I finally watched The Pursuit of Happyness for the first time last night. Ever since the movie had come out, it bothered me--as I'm sure with many other people--when I saw the title. Why in the hell is "happiness" spelled with a 'y'? I was hoping to God that they would have some explanation as to why that was somewhere in the movie. If not, I was going to label the entire movie as a total loss and disappointment (yes, I hold good spelling and grammar that highly). Thankfully, I only had to wait a few minutes to get my clarification. If it had been any longer, I might have put it on my axe list. I make for a tough crowd.

I thought the movie had a lot of good points. I enjoyed heckling his wife through the first half of the movie and making fun of the hippie girl. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the deal was because I was stuck on one point. Now, do they consider true happiness to be a monetary thing? That's what I thought was insinuated. I mean, the storyline was endearing enough, but what are we really supposed to go for in life? Money=happiness? Or is it self-confidence/being comfortable with who you are/appreciation for everything around you=happiness? I'd want to say the latter, but I don't know what the writers were trying to get across.

I'm not attacking the film, but I think the chapter he called "happiness" should have included more than getting the high-paying stock brokerage job that led to his millions. Happiness should have been his son. Happiness should have been his wife (when she did support him). Happiness should have been the people who helped him to get where he did.
Ok, happiness should have been a lot of things in my mind, but I guess everyone's different. However, am I the only one who had trouble ascertaining the message of this film (beyond a monetary standpoint)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree that the messge seemed to be that money makes for happiness. on that note however, being able to give your kids everything thing possible and take care of them without struggle and a ton of stress it is necessary to my mind that money achieves this :) thats y i moved to buffalo :D

Randy Maness said...

I was satisfied that happiness was sacrificing so much for his son and in return he was able to get the high paying job where he can afford to take care of his son.

Though, I think his character was somewhat cold to everyone but his son. He didn't respect his wife enough. I can understand why she left, yet I think the situation was ridiculous that even though he didn't have a job, he kept his son with him while being homeless. It was just too much pride.